Monday, February 27, 2012

Scientists and tattoos of their science

Over the weekend, I had a chat with some friends on the subject of tattoos. I was never really against it, but I wasn't sure if I like the idea of permanently inking myself on one spot. What if I grow old and my skin got saggy? What if the colour of the ink runs over a period of time? How will I explain to my kids? 

But those questions aside, I might get one which really means something to me. So I thought about what I love and won't mind having on one part of my body "forever": turtles. They helped me form my passion in marine biology when I was feeling a little lost in my first semester and started off everything for me - opening up many opportunities to learn, travel and meet people who played important roles in my life. Without turtles, I won't be who I am today! :)

And I found a nice turtle tattoo that I like. Kristen's gonna do some slight modifications to it and I'm gonna sit on that idea for at least six months, letting my inner conscience debate it out.

In the meantime, I found that lots of scientists do get tattoos related to the science they're doing! The Science Tattoo Emporium at The Loom has a collection of such tattoos contributed by scientists around the world. It was cool to see some marine-related ones! 

A career in the sea

Just follow the light

Honu the turtle

Would you ever consider getting a tattoo of your science? Or whatever you're working on in life?

3 comments:

  1. As well as the book Carl Zimmer produced (http://www.amazon.com/Science-Ink-Tattoos-Obsessed/dp/1402783604/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1330362592&sr=1-3)

    Scicurious who blogs at http://scientopia.org got a tattoo to celebrate her PhD - it's of a caffine molecule:

    http://scientopia.org/blogs/scicurious/2010/05/03/in-which-sci-gets-inked/

    Not sure I'm going to get seaweed inked into my skin anytime soon...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I saw some nice seaweed ones but they're quite big. Definitely not the kind you can have in the open when attending job interviews and what not. :-/

      Delete
  2. Honu the turtle looks cool. Maybe if you get a smaller version. You sure, Feli? It's gonna hurt!!

    ReplyDelete